Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Significant Month

In a matter of days, I will be successfully straddled between celebrating two significant anniversaries: my wedding day (#28) and my birth day (#55). July just happens to be that type of month. It's the latter anniversary (I have only one birth day – the day I was born, Horace) that has created more angst for me than the former one.

After all, any man married to the same woman for twenty to thirty years or more is quite a novelty these days. There is a certain heroic element for hanging in there, even though it bucks current trends. Too often, marriage partners are viewed with the same cold eye as professional athletes: Kept around for a few seasons, they get dropped for younger, more suitable versions of the same. That's why I like the term "covenant" for marriage; "contract" sounds so, well, temporary and business-like.

You are aware that there are very few jokes about marital longevity, whereas libraries and comedy stages are full of cracks and quips about growing old. I had it just the other week, twice. Some old geezer, probably my age, asked me about my two grandchildren playing on the hills of Dinosaur Provincial Park. I made three corrections: "Sir," I said, "there are actually four of them, they are not my grand-kids, and the blonde is not my daughter – she's my wife."

Talk about dinosaurs...

And a couple of days ago, at my favourite pre-owned clothing store, the clerk (politely) asked me about discounts or coupons. I was taken aback at his question, knowing that it was Senior's Tuesday. I would have poked him with my walker, but I think I left it in another store. Or was it at the bus stop? I better find it soon, because I think I left my dentures in the basket.

I don't feel that old. Granted, I am slower physically than I was a ten-miles-a-day letter-carrier, twenty years ago. And I think I am slower emotionally, in that I don't get as excited about a variety of things as I once did when I was a lot younger. Maybe I am a little jaded.

Speaking of emotions, I still tend to lose my temper, but for some reason I always find it again.

One clear-cut mark of my aging process is that I love older music more and more. I was born in the 50s and raised in the 60s, and that era has become my music of preference. Ironically, I never became aware of it till the 70s, so it was already old then. I still remember my first Beach Boys album. By the time I got around to buying it, they had become the Beach Men.

Whether it is four-part gospel harmony, barbershop quartets, good old-fashioned doo-wop, or early rock and roll, I suggest to you that there is a certain classiness, quality, and wholesomeness that has been unmatched since that time. The words, for starters, are clear and meaningful, something I can't say for much of the music of recent history. I admit that is a strong opinion, and I also know music is very much a matter of taste; but when I hear what passes as music today – secular or religious – I seriously cringe in disgust and disappointment.

Just as an example, I am listening to a CD-version of the Oak Ridge Boys, circa 1960, as I write these words. Those Oak Ridge Boys are not the same Oak Ridge Boys of today. I am a quasi-fan of the ORB still, having seen today's version live, just before they fled to Country. They are very gifted, no doubt about it, but I still hanker after their older stuff as I "mature."

Another benchmark of aging gracefully – like healthy cheese and great wine – is habits. You know those sorts of habits I'm talking about: shopping, wardrobes, holidays, evenings out or in, etc. I feel settled for the most part when it comes to these things. I rarely feel the restless and consuming urge to try this new thing, or go to that new place – just for the rush, just for fun.

The real kicker here is that I am gaining a status that will match my looks: I am going to be a grandpa! My wife and I have discussed what we should be called with the excited parents-to-be. For myself, I ran through the slate of terms of affection for the old man who is the father of the young mother. I am working through "Papa," "Gramps," "Poppa," and of course, "Granddad."

In addition to a new moniker, I need to adjust to a new relationship, namely, being married to a grandmother. Has it really come to this? But after twenty-eight years, one has come to expect the unexpected. On the upside, maybe she knows where my teeth are.

No comments: