Saturday, January 9, 2010

Another Loudmouth Blogger?

Because I am convinced that if we had a little more grammar in this poor world, we'd all be better off, I find myself a little out of step with normal people. Some cry that we need more love; others, more green space. My teenagers think that if we had more sleep, the world would be a better place. And my students are clear that more holidays would make everything right.
I say: Bring on the participles, and we'd have a better world.
Okay, okay, I kid, but there is some truth in speaking and writing well. And my little grammar lesson today, boys and girls – and big people, too – is all about "suffixes." Remember that "prefixes" join the root word in the front of it (eg., re-, de-, un-, etc.), whereas "suffixes" join the root word at the back (eg., -ite, -aire, -istic, etc.). And now that I have used the quotation marks enough times, I can use the word suffix without them.
Many, if not most, suffixes are just fine. But let me talk briefly about perhaps the most dangerous one, the suffix "-ism." You see, for example, it is good to be an individual, but it is not good to be marked by individualism; to commune is good, but communism is not good.. I am simply expressing my opinion, which actually is the big word for today's lesson. Having an opinion is good, but expressing it on every topic all day long is not. As there is no actual word "opinionism," I will stick with the accepted term, "opinionated."
When you are told that you are opinionated, please do not take that as a complement. Ever. It would be akin to being called a "big mouth," or "loudmouth." In fact, if a guy has a "lip" or a gal has quite a "mouth," those are insults masking as body parts.
This is the day of opinions, and sometimes they cross the line into opinionism (again, no such word, but don't tell the Grammar teacher I said that). Mind you, we don't see them as opinions when they are written; those often call "blogs." There are many blogs of every description, including some at the bottom of news stories on the Internet. People sound off about anything and everything. Sometimes their opinions are worth reading; other times, I would rather watch paint dry.
One of the marks of a democratic society – that is, a true democratic society – is some vague notion called free speech. This column, with all its right leanings (play on words fully intended) and expressions that are pro-life, pro-family, and pro-morality, is a case in point. I don't ask anyone to agree with me, laud me, nominate me for office – or even name a street after me, for that matter.
Threats of hatred, promises of violence, or even opinions that denigrate our fellow-humans have no place here, on the news, or even on a personal blog. How the latter is policed, I cannot say. It is an age-old question, namely, where does freedom of speech end and malicious speech begin?
Speaking of such, just before I sat down here in the brave solitude of my lonely office, I read the opinions of irate blogger after angry blogger, as they assailed a certain corporation. Apparently Loblaws was thinking of suing the driver of the 15-passenger van that crashed in New Brunswick two years ago. The driver lost his wife and and seven students in the crash. His van and his world were turned upside down; in many ways, the crash was a metaphor for the that poor man's world.
My point is, people were steamed at the bullying tactics by Loblaws - taking on a little guy who has already suffered a lifetime of grief, stigma, and pain. And these bloggers were letting the public know that this sort of approach is completely unacceptable. Their opinionated outrage worked here: Loblaws backed off. So, in this case at least, sounding off worked.
While I don't know all the details, I applaud the bloggers for their courage of convictions (even though they don't use their proper names). Like other bloggers, or students, or politicians, or whoever else feels they must express their opinion, let me give you some pointers:
1. Don't feel you have to express your opinion on everything that happens. Maybe not everyone wants to know what you think. As Andy Capp once said: "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you." Measure your talk in words, not sentences.
2. Choose your words carefully; you may not have all the facts and the missing ones may be the most crucial ones. It might be good to start opining with the words: "My understanding is..."
In fact, this column is just like those blogs – and I live by those same rules, believe me.

No comments: