Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why I Write

 

Those that have attempted to follow this column for the past few years know that I love to play with words. Sometimes such toying can be misconstrued as bitter sarcasm or religious intolerance. Certain letters to the editor—which are always welcome, so long as they are not personal attacks (a standard that I also live up to)-- are part of the "joy" of writing in a public place.


My third favourite book—next to the Bible and Uncle John's Bathroom Reader-- is the Oxford Canadian Dictionary. Said dictionary defines "satire" in the following manner: "the use of ridicule to expose folly or vice or to lampoon an individual." It is an appropriate genre (or style) of literature. I suggest to you that it is "wit with an attitude."


If I can connect the dots for you, then, one of my writing styles is satire. Sometimes I lampoon sports, farm life, and even something as simple as the weather. In another context, I might stand up and say the following: "My name is Craig and I am a satirist."


That, in an ironic sense, is a touch of satire in itself. Throughout the years I have looked at life and laughed, though the next day, I would look again and cry. Either way, with a certain gift with words, I have tried to expose and explain some of the follies of the world I live in. They are shallow, passing observations, I agree. This column has always been for the common people, not the sophisticates. I believe I could write polemics here and tomes there, but in this context I choose not to. We all need to laugh just a little more, and I do my best to add a grin here and there.


Over the years I have angered some, perhaps many, with my personal convictions regarding marriage, origins, politics, and faith. (Note the disarming way I allow for individual freedom of expression.) No offense was ever intended and never will be; I am sorry if anyone takes offense. My views on the sanctity and solidarity of marriage, on the reasonableness of creationism and a young earth, on restraint and conservatism in every stripe and level of leadership, and, finally, on the wonderful story of the divine mission, have remained constant. I have tried to present these views as consistently and tactfully and simply as possible.


Take, for instance, last week's comments on the current mess in Egypt. I am steadfastly alarmed at what is happening there. Decades of oppression, both from the dictatorship at the government level, as well as the Islamic fundamentalism entrenched throughout the rest of the society, have left that once-glorious country in serious moral, economic, spiritual, and cultural shape. Recent comments were in no way a measured analysis of that situation. I am not that pretentious.


Again, my take on same-sex marriages. Everytime I turn around, someone is crying "homophobia" (or is it "homophobia!"?) because people like me struggle with the concept of a groom and groom wedding ceremony. Have we stooped so low as a nation that we can't simply express our opinion, our consternation, without feeling that we are venomous hate-mongers? Someone should develop the notion of "heterophobia," just to balance things out. (Even though it is actually not a legitimate word, it is a way of looking at things.) I weary of those who hate it when religion so-called is "crammed down their throat." I agree, but I also agree that alternative lifestyles shouldn't be crammed down our throats, either; I suggest we need a level playing field in matters of morality.


Some people are followers of Charles Darwin, others are not. Those in the former category are set in their views and much of their thinking permeates our school system, our workplace, and our public television. Those in the latter category, which includes yours truly, have deep issues with such a porous philosophy. We believe we have as much right to express our opposing view as the textbooks do. That seems very fair to me.


You're probably wandering what is the point of this week's rant. No real point, I suppose, but sometimes there is a need to clarify the purpose of this column. Said purpose is as follows: An often witty, sometimes satirical, look at every aspect of life, revelling in the fact that free speech is still the rule, and not the exception. For the same reason, that's why letters to the editor are published. We really can't have the one without allowing for the other, can we now?


So, I'll keep writing and you, please, keep reading. I won't make you agree with me at any time, but if I can steer you into thinking a little differently in a variety of areas, I may have succeeded just a little. As they say, we can agree to disagree, without being disagreeable—though I won't budge on my view of the Calgary Flames.



No comments: