Monday, August 29, 2011

Foremost on my Mind: CBC and Me

CBC Radio One shocked me the other day. I would have sworn they had been reading the world-famous Foremost on my Mind over the past year. They touched on two key economic issues that yours truly (Maurice, that's a cool way to speak about myself, without naming me-me-me) had pontificated about.

Their concern, of course, was the very severe labour shortage that is already besetting many of the western economies, with Canada obviously as their focus. I've dealt with this in this space before, and I'm sure you're still awe of my insight...not. It was CBC's solutions—or better stated, suggested solutions—that thrilled and chilled me.

Let me say them very slowly for you: More immigrants and more children. (I'll just wait for a moment or two before moving on.)

I'm sure you know what more immigration means. It means tapping into the human resources in, say, Sri Lanka, Portugal, and Zimbabwe, and bringing qualified people over here to work in absolutely every sector of society. What with the baby boomers retiring at an alarming rate-- unless they have mismanaged their money (or had other financial setbacks) and can't afford to quit working—but fewer and fewer workers to take their place, the powers-that-be are rightly alarmed.

And I'm sure you know what more children means. It means larger families. It means more stay-at-home moms. It means more jobs for teachers, clerks, and tradesmen. Or, if you choose some of the wise alternatives, then there are more resources for homeschoolers, more creative independent business choices, and a whole host of trade options.

I am not saying that CBC Radio One even agreed with the reporter's suggestions. But at least they had the moral fortitude to air them.

Greater immigration is no-brainer; it's the increase in family size that has arrested my attention. I say that because it simply flies in the face of the common myths of a decrepit society. Myths? Glad you asked! Myths like no one can afford a large family. Myths like killing babies is a woman's right. Myths like there are too many people in the world already. And myths like there isn't enough food for those who are here.

To be sure, parents will have their own reasons for family size, whether large or small; I just humbly suggest that hiding behind the above myths shouldn't be one of them.

I am convinced that gross mismanagement of resources at every level have caused the above myths to flourish. There are many creatively sane ways to deal with every one of the issues in the above paragraph. Kids starving and dying in Somalia's present drought, for example, has nothing whatsoever to do with over-population. It has everything to do with the ruling despots gone mad.

So I may rant and rave betimes and not be quite in line with the common thinking of the everyday ploughman. (But, then again, maybe I am.) All I know is that when a publicly-funded, left-leaning media conglomerate like CBC gives some credence to the two possible solutions, I think we should all stand up and listen.

Well, unless you're driving your car. Then just honk your horn. Or text your local MLA. But only do that latter when you have come to a complete stop.

And by the way, CBC Radio One, thanks for reading the column. If you want any more information, please feel free to text me anytime. Just not when you're on the air.

No comments: