Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Foremost on my Mind: The Loss of the Three C's

Have you ever had three unrelated events happen to you, yet in an uncanny sense they seem somewhat related? Just a few days ago, three things happened, that, on the surface, had no connection to each other. Curious? Confused? Read on...


I didn't actually anticipate any of following, but they happened nonetheless: One, the landslide victory of the Progressive Conservatives; two, the Vancouver Canucks' ouster in the first round; and three, the death of Chuck Colson.


Again, none of these appear to be linked in any way. If you get creative, however, you might see a political connection (Conservatives-Colson); or, you might see the villain connection (Canucks-Colson); and then again, there might be a sense-of-relief connection (Conservatives-Canucks)—relief, as in one political party never made it in, and one team never made it in to the next round.


I must say that when I woke up after each event, my life was inherently no differently than it was the day before—despite those losses (or gains, depending on your viewpoint).


Let's take Chuck Colson, as an example. I am so old that I remember Watergate on the news. I even remember when Colson was arrested and sent to prison. It was around that time when he has this “born again” experience. Out of Chuck's prison experience came his Gospel-humanitarian service called “Prison Fellowship Ministries” that has turned around the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of current and ex-prisoners.


Funny how you won't read about this on cbc.ca.


The Canucks? Oh, the Canucks! Destined to play Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup finals this June, the only thing they'll be doing together is playing golf. I would need a complete column to discuss (that's a combination of diss and cuss) the Canucks --what they should have done and what they should now do. Suffice to say, I am disappointed and irritated, but hey, there's always the Leafs and the Canadiens.


Finally, the Conservative landslide victory. Well, at least in the Central and North. Down here in the South, there's going to to be a new sheriff in town. Pundits, pollisters, and even politicians predicted a possible Wildrose majority (best-case scenario), or a Wildrose minority (worst-case scenario). Becoming the official oposition lies somewhere in between.


As you marvel at all these links, surely you must be thinking of yet another one or two. I have: They all had significant '70s. The Canucks entered the NHL in 1970, the PC's have been reigning for around 41 years, which places their start with Peter Lougheed around 1971, and Colson was making his initial headlines in the early '70s.


So, back to reality. Let's talk about impact for a moment: Whether the Canucks lose or win, it really doesn't make a rip of difference in my life (unless I get harassed by pouty Flames fans). As far as the PC's go, yes, they have some exceedingly dangerous bills they want to pass, and I need to be wary—along with thousands of other Albertans over the next four years. But it's Chuck Colson's passing that I think has affected me the most.

Let me explain why: Among other things, he wrote a regular email journal that I read religiously (don't get your collar turned around—it's just an expression). 'Enjoyed' seems too trite a word; I was challenged, refreshed, and illuminated each time it came.


He didn't appear to have an axe to grind, or, as in the case of the Canucks and Conservatives, respectively, he wasn't simply playing or politicking. He dealt with issues that are the bedrock of our society, namely, standing for traditional families, as well as single-parent families; life in and out of prison; dealing with illness, death, and autism, plus many other relevant subjects.


I may have exaggerated a little when I said my life will be no different because of these three losses. The death of a man of God, like Chuck Colson, with his wise and practical insight, will be a severe loss.


For the Canucks, there's next year; for the Wildrose, there's 2016. But for Colson, there's eternity.


No comments: