Monday, December 17, 2012

Foremost on my Mind: Just Wondering...

I wonder, as I wander,” what it was like on that first night, so long ago. My Christmas cards tell me one thing, my newspaper ads tell me another, and my Bible tells me something else. One wonders what to believe these days of mixed voices.


I wonder what it would have been like to be one of the shepherds that first night, when Jesus was born. Of course, I wouldn't want to be a shepherd back then: They were far down the social scale in the Jewish culture, along with women and dogs (that culture's view, not mine.). Funny how the nativity account allows for something as lowly as shepherds to be the primary worshippers, the first-on-the-scene responders.


I wonder who the magi really were back then. Common folklore has them arriving and honouring the Christ-child, along with the shepherds. That, of course, would be impossible, if the historical records are right. That account makes it very clear that they came to the “house” (not the manger) to where the young “child” (not the baby) was.


So, while they weren't there on the first night, they are often associated with it.


And in case you didn't read it recently, the Herod of that time slaughtered all male babies from the age of two and under, just to cover his bases. He knew, in other words, that the Christ-child had been born within the previous two years, not previous two months. The old king was threatened by another “king” taking over.


But back to these wise guys, er, wise men: Tradition has it that they were astrologer-kings from the Persia area, the land we call Iraq today. They were obviously watching the sky and reading the (Hebrew Old Testament) Scriptures, and were well aware that the extra-special star would lead them to an extra-special person. One doesn't stroll halfway across a continent just for a night out.


And I know we speak of the three gifts of the magi, suggesting only three wise men, but between you and me, that's ridiculous. There were three types of gifts—and likely plenty of each type. Also, anyone travelling hundreds upon hundreds of kilometres would travel with a very large entourage of soldiers, cooks, scribes, and many other types of support staff. There could have been 103 or 203 of them, for all we know.


What else do I wonder about that first night? Oh yes, what was the innkeeper ever thinking when he turned down a complete stranger with a very pregnant wife? Well, slow down: Perhaps Joseph wasn't a complete stranger. After all, he was coming back to his roots, and perhaps the two of them knew each other. Either way, it was really ignorant of him, unless, of course, there actually wasn't any room in the inn.


I also wonder about some of these secular, historical figures. I'm thinking about the afore-mentioned Herod and his Roman boss, Caesar Augustus, plus some governor called Quirinius (Kyrenios, if you want his Greek name). These are guys you don't want to get mad in a bar. They are part of the early Christmas story, and you also wouldn't dare delete them from the narrative, would you?

Those who struggle with the traditional, historical side of the birth of Jesus surely would never question the secular, historical side of it, would they? But why believe only part of the biographical account; why not come at the story with a completely open mind?


One thing I really wonder about is why all the big fuss about the big day tomorrow? By “fuss,” I mean the fact that too many want to re-work it and re-write it. Traditions aside—and you have yours and I have mine—I wonder why the historical, factual account, involving secular, known people of history (see earlier paragraph), involving known countries, and a factual, historical birth.


That, by the way, is not the end of the story--it's only the beginning.


I wonder where in the course of history did all the facts get muddled, to the point we see the elves, reindeer, Santa, mistletoe, and such, as an integral part of the big day? People want to believe those fantasies can go ahead. But people who do not should be free to celebrate their way.


No need to wonder, people. Let me say the following: From my heart and home to yours, have yourself a wonderful Merry Christmas.



No comments: