Saturday, April 18, 2015

Something on my Mind: Mr. Candidate, Sir

Hello Mr. Candidate:  Thanks for making the effort and taking the time out of your schedule to run in the upcoming election. I wish you the best, though I may or may not vote for you.

Nothing personal, friend, but I have certain moral, financial, ethical, vocational, and political convictions, and if I don't feel you're the best person to represent me, I won't vote for you. That's the joy and privilege of democracy.

If your stand on government, sex, and education (merely as good examples) is different than mine, my conscience won't allow me to put an “X” beside your name. It's not that I don't like you; I just don't agree with your views.

Can we still be friends when I say stuff like that? I hope so. That's what makes Canada such a great country, you know. In some banana republics, or worse, democracies that act like banana republics, there would be blood on the streets at this point of the discussion.

Obviously, the above issues are close to my heart; that's why I mentioned them. The next person that stands up at an all-candidates meeting may have other issues. Or, he or she may have my issues on their heart, but from a different angle—you know, they may want more bloated bureaucracy and an inclusive perspective on same-sex issues (sounds so inviting, doesn't it?).

No, I didn't overlook the comment on education. That's actually what this column is about, namely, options, funding, and parental rights.

I think education is a significant plank in this election and we really need to talk about it. Indeed, you may think I have my bias (though I would call it a conviction) about education. Both my wife and I are certified teachers and we value every form of education and learning style. We support school choice, be they public school, Christian school, and home school—so long as true education is taking place. Some weeks ago I stated something about an educated populace being a free populace.

To the point: Many of us are very alarmed, for instance, at the capping formula that is being crammed down our throats—whether we're public, private, and home schools. That means there will be a financial nightmare when the dust settles, so you, Mr. Candidate, will really need to bone up on your facts, position, and response to this looming dilemma.

That is, if you get want to get elected.

As I have stated previously and repeatedly. I have no axe to grind with school options. My wife and I have opted for one choice for our kids, I teach part-time in another, and have many, many friends in yet another. We see a place for them all. I think that sounds like a pretty rational, point of view, don't you think?

Can you tell me what Alberta Education is going to do when the projected 12,000 new students enter the system this September 1st? That is, the government, in its “wisdom,” has made it clear that there is no funding for them. Any idea how that translates into real world dynamics? I hope the government has a big shovel.

Then there are the private schools, and by extension, the hundreds of new homeschoolers who notify under them: Each school is capped, so any new students will not be funded. That's neither rational nor just.

So, “basic logic and rational thought” have just left the room: The government, on one hand, has decreed that there is a mandatory age when students should be in some form of school. However, there appears to be no provision to accommodate the new students. Is that responsible governance?

If I were a candidate, and I wrote a few weeks ago why I won't be, I would see education as perhaps my chief plank. It would be wussy of me, then, to sound off here, as I'm not running.

Simply put, a good government must cherish, foster, and encourage choices in education. We know those choices and must never allow one take precedence over another. Stupid to have to mention it, but do you realize that would diminish and de-value choice, not encourage it.

Also, parental rights should trump every other concern we have. Parent-directed education means they should choose where and how of their kids' education. After all, they have the prior right to do so. In other words, if they can choose the home faith-based, or the public arena, that's their prerogative.

If you get elected, sir, can I have the assurance that you will stand up for this present, pressing need? It's one of those dilemmas that also happens to be a future, pressing need: Kids of today are adults tomorrow. Limited educational options, with dumbed-down curriculum, and muffled parental input, are very, very dangerous paths to take to the future.

Alberta has been touted as having one of the most robust, effective educational systems...in the world. We need to maintain that standard, and not lower it through fumbling, bumbling policies.

Let's hope the government is not D-E-F when it comes to our kids ABC's.



 
--
Sent using Postbox:
http://www.getpostbox.com

No comments: