Friday, October 2, 2015

Something on my Mind: Right is Right, Right?

Exactly one week from today, you may be waking up to a different Canada. Oh, the mountains and prairies will still be here; Hockey Night in Canada, Burger King, and Walmart will still be here; and I'll still be here, so it won't be all that bad.

No, I'm talking about the results of an election that will have taken place the night before. Strangely enough, I'm not as worried about Harper losing (remote possibility), as I am worried about one of those other two guys winning. I know there's a third party running, but I don't want to waste space and time using the G-word. Our gracious democracy has a few quirks, you know.

Traditionally, Canada has always had one of two parties ruining, er, running the country. One is the L-word and the other is the Conservatives. But I sit somewhere between baffled and piqued, with a touch of scared, when I think that the next ruling party of Canada might start with the letter N.

Too many people here in Alberta were stupid enough to vote NDP—so now the rest of Canada follows suit?

Purists may argue that the Liberals have always been more liberal (play on words intended) than the Conservatives, and shouldn't be lumped in with them. True, but the Liberals of the past are no match for what's coming down the pike in the person of Justin Trudeau.

If you thought those clowns that have led the Liberals in the past decade or two were scary, buckle up for a new ride. While I don't think they will form even a minority government, their popularity among some of the electorate intrigues me. Could they become, God forbid, the official opposition?

Where did the old fashioned qualities of discernment and insight go?

Even if you don't appreciate Mr. Harper's policies in every decision, he is still the best choice out there...bar none. Or better stated, if he's Number One, the other two are tied for Seventeenth. It's just unthinkable that we could wake up to a Canada ruled by either the NDP or Liberals.

If that was the case, let's hope to God in heaven above that it's a minority government, so another party can hold their feet to the fire. If we get a majority NDP-led government, I'm moving to Idaho. I would look forward to living under President Huckabee and Vice-president Carson.

Most of my venom (read: acidic opinion; nothing personal, Tom, nothing personal) is directed toward the NDP. I don't actually think the Liberals will make much headway and the other party isn't worth mentioning. (Mind you, I didn't think the NDP would have made much headway here in Alberta either.)

I've seen the irreparable damage the NDP have done at the provincial level. Federally, I gag when I see their platform Not only do they have contempt for big business, now I'm hearing of their contempt for small business. How else do you explain the devastating impact of a $15/hour minimum wage? They say they're for the little guy—but that must no longer apply to small retailers and manufacturers. I don't even have an economics degree and I can see that.

I am also aware of their mistaken support for same-sex marriage, feminism, and abortion. A true conservative, on the other hand, would struggle with those positions.

Let me mention a couple of themes that have shown up in this space before:

One, a conservative government in every aspect is what's best for the nation and the provinces. Re-stated: They must be conservative economically, morally, socially, and environmentally. These are not the right times to bring in a newbie, with a brand-new, sweeping agenda, one who has no regards for precedent or caution, or no experience in running the country. There's some frightening turbulence out there, at every level. We need calm, measured, and experienced leadership.

And two, whether it's the Liberals or NDP, a left-of-centre opposition is healthy opposition. I have always appreciated an NDP opposition, even if they're cranky and loud. They just belong on the other side of the parliamentary floor.

So, next week you have the privilege and duty to vote. Sitting home and whining about it does nothing to correct it. Even writing about it (like I do) isn't enough. We need to get of the couch and into the polling stations. And bring your brains along: We don't need to make anymore goofy choices like Albertans did a few months ago.

We need to take advantage of the opportunity of voting in free elections seriously. The practice of voting is one hallmark of a free society. Cherish it while it lasts.

“X” marks the spot, they say, and the only spot on the ballot is beside the name of the Conservative candidate.

 
--
Sent using Postbox:
http://www.getpostbox.com

No comments: