Thursday, February 25, 2016

Something on my Mind: Intrusive Lunacy

I'm going to start with a brief story about smoking. It's what we call a "metaphor," one story that tells another one, if you will. That's not the most accurate definition, to be sure, but it fits for those of us common people.

Smoking is a bad habit enjoyed by a few, but endured by the many. For whatever good one may say about the smokers' choice, the bad outweighs it by a large margin.

Let me count the ways: 1. needless expense; 2. horrible smell 3. bad breath; 4. health issues; and 5. premature death. And there may be other issues to add to the list.

Now, I can't stop you from smoking, can I? I may go on a moral/medical crusade to demand that you do what I want you to do, what with all my persuasive arguments. You may try to do the same in reverse. The best compromise is to let you do your thing, and you let me do mine. After all, we're not doing damage in each other's space.

Anything more would be intrusive lunacy of the highest order.

Now, speaking of intrusive lunacy of the highest order, let me shift to what I'm really talking about. I suppose you've heard of the provincial government's latest blunder? The NDP is on a quest to force their "enlightened" same-sex and transgendered agenda down the throats of Albertans, starting with your local school. And that's only the beginning.

There's no way that I can go into all the frightening details; you have seen some responsible citizens voicing their outrage at this latest moral gaffe by the NDP in this paper over the past few weeks. These are brave people who stand up and speak their minds. I never sensed they were known to be bigots or bullies.

If you could take a moment out and go over the metaphor for me, just replace "smoking" with the "transgendered." I don't want to have to fill in the blanks for you, but a repressive law is about to be foisted on Alberta's citizens very shortly.

I have always believed in tolerance, equal rights, and justice. I was raised that way and I have raised my family that way, as have thousands of other Albertans. Now, because those of us don't see "the light" on a new morality, we are labelled as intolerant.

I think the ramifications of this bill are unfathomable, be they moral, sociological, economical, or judicial. If we're talking matters of tolerance, equal rights, and justice, then the architects of this repressive legislation must be reading from a different dictionary—certainly from a different history book

When kids, in particular, are free to choose their gender for that day, when they can use the bathroom of their choice, and by extension, when adults can do the same, the end result will be total moral and sexual chaos. Seriously? They even get to vote till they're 18.

That would mean post-puberty boys in girls' bathrooms, and vice versa. There is no tolerance, equal rights, and justice in that, is there? And by the way, I'm thinking of both the non-transgendered and the transgendered.

I'm sure you would agree that it's courageous to stand up for the protection of our children, to do what we believe is morally right. How can that be grounds for being a bigot or a bully? And how can I protect my daughter (or your daughter) from a boy in the girls' bathroom?

By the end of March, every school jurisdiction must have a plan for how they will carry out the government's decree of transgendered bathrooms. Who knows what will that ultimately look like? And who will protect the children—better, who will protect your children and grandchildren?

This goes beyond religious values, people: Parental rights are at stake here.

So then, what's next--Airports? Malls? Rinks? And while you're at it, check out any newsfeed from the States and see what's already happening there. Believe me, I don't make this stuff up.

Back to the metaphor: If a few people choose to smoke, would it be right to turn every room in every institution into a smoking room, to lay a guilt trip on those who don't smoke, and then have those same non-smokers (and all Albertans) be forced to pick up the medical bills for the smokers?

No, we give them their space, and so we should. But it's never at the expense and inconvenience of non-mokers. Never. So why is this issue any different? Well, it is different: It's far more serious.

Enough talk already, Alberta. We need some action here.


 
--
Sent using Postbox:
http://www.getpostbox.com

No comments: