Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Something on my Mind: Watch Your Mouth or Wash it (2)

So how did the muzzled mouth do this week? Did you make an effort at not swearing or cursing this past week? The thought of it put me on my toes, by the way, and I really don't have a foul mouth.

For years I worked as a letter-carrier. Reflecting upon those days after 30 years, I cannot believe how foul-mouthed and filthy a lot of those guys were. And now every time I turn around, In hear of another segment of the working populace who likewise can claim to have the filthiest mouth in the workplace. It's almost like a badge of honour, seeing who can drop the most f-bombs.

To date, I have never known why people have to swear. Machismo? Fear? Peer pressure? Illiteracy? A combination of all of the above?

Using God's name in a useless, purposeless, and empty way, is not good (repeat: Do not use the Lord's name in "vain"). That is the gist of this Third Commandment. And if we are careless about how we use the Creator's name, then we are very likely careless about the use of all sorts of other rotten language.

Maybe we should curse with some pop star's name instead of God; tell people to go to Havana, instead of hell; and say "fuddle duddle" as a replacement for you-know-what .

I'm being facetious, of course. There is no need for any foul language at any time. And that is more of a confession on my part, rather than a sermon for you.

Work hard this week at cursing Sidney Crosby or your mother, as you try to create some new speaking habits. It might sound good.

I would love to go and explain a variety of passages from the Bible as to how swearing and cursing God is not healthy or wise. And it probably means we a have a warped view of God—and that is not only not good, it's dangerous.

What I just said may come across as arrogant or holier-than-thou, but it's not. As a Bible-believing Christian, it is my responsibility to be, well, responsible. If the Good Book says it, I must believe it. And I am happy (not merely resigned) to believe it. And beyond that, I see the massive benefit of believing it in a practical, upbeat, and healthy way.

And again, as a reminder, this is the gist of this series on the benefit of a society practising the Ten Commandments.

The first four relate to dealing with God. The next column will be the fourth of those first four. Then it gets even more practical, more in-your-face, so to speak—and more beneficial for society and you as an individual.

So, the takeaway from the third commandment is simply to watch your mouth. Personally, I don't want to hear anything about a God you may or may not believe in in a profanity-laced outburst. I don't want to hear of "f-this or f-that," or replaced carefully by "#$*!?" as if I don't know what you're saying.

That means no swearing at your parents (or kids|), employers (or employees), or teachers (or students). And if you're really outraged as you read this, don't swear at me under your breath.

Rather, if you can't keep your mouth clean, just keep your mouth shut. The silence would be refreshing.

And a real benefit to all—including yourself.



No comments: