Sunday, November 18, 2018

Something on my Mind: That Big Day is Just Around the Corner (2)

Tolerance. Diversity. These are current buzz words that I hear on a regular basis. There may not be any bigger time of year, any greater Canadian tradition, where it could be practised than on the Big Day called Christmas.

I think in the spirit of tolerance, which we hear a lot about from our friends from the Left, the

least we can do is tolerate our differing views—and that includes differing traditions, historical/biblical or otherwise. Okay, that's quite a concession on our part, because if we ignore much about the basis of this Big Day, we are in denial of the facts, which is not a good thing.

Here's a really great idea (I'm so modest, aren't I?): How about we don't cram the historical, biblical angle of Christmas down anyone's throat, and they (you?) don't ban our celebration of said day.

I am sadly aware that much of what I am asking for is passe. Christmas songs, school presentations, even general greetings around this time, are long devoid of any mention of Christmas (with "Christ" part being the culprit). I get it.

You see, we all have our Big Days—among them birthdays and anniversaries--and we have the right and thrill of celebrating them. I cannot agree with the secularization of December's Big Day, but I reserve the right for others to do what they want on December 25.

Just don't deny me and mine, and I will do the same for you.

There is a limited historical basis for Christmas being celebrated the way we do today, I agree. I speak in particular of the Christmas tree, the time of year, and the excessive indebtedness that results. They don't seem to have a historical or biblical basis. There is no question there have been a lot abuses on everyone's part.

Our family has a tree, but it merely becomes part of the living room decor and nothing more. It just adds to the ambience of the season I was raised without a tree and never developed a tree tradition until well after I was married. Besides, the Christ-child was likely born sometime in the late summer/early fall, not the dead of winter. We are also very careful how much money we spend. It's called responsible budgeting.

It should be a big day for all, even those of secular mindset. If nothing else, we are celebrating the birth of a distinct historical person. We do that throughout the year and there is no hue or cry about that. I would like to see anyone from that camp mess with other traditional birthdays of famous people, and see if they get away with it.

Just to be consistent: We wouldn't think of messing with Happy, Happy Friday, for example, would we? Of course not. If we did, that would certainly make it a really "black" Friday for all concerned.

It's also a big day to celebrate the season with friends and family, with all the food, fun, and fellowship, spread out over many days.

But it is a Big Day for me and other professing followers of the Christ for other reasons. Christ's birth was a significant event in terms of liberty and freedom. And in this day and age of "tolerance" and "diversity," one wonders why does tolerance does not apply to Christmas. Okay, I fib: I know exactly why it doesn't work both ways.

So, I tolerate the nonsense of the Grinch, the tradition of the mistletoe, and the undisciplined drinking-to-get-drunk parties. I will not be stopping that. I'll leave the latter restriction Operation Red Nose and other men in blue.

It's a happy time of year for many, bittersweet for more and more, something I may tackle in a column or two. In the meantime, let's enjoy the season in the most meaningful way possible.

Merry Christmas!






No comments: