Friday, December 7, 2018

Something on my Mind: Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus


Okay, the following song may not have the same rhythm or appeal as, say, "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer," to be sure.  But there is a historical, biblical, emotional, and sociological depth to it that I truly appreciate.

And it alarms me that, as a society, we continue to become more secular, we are losing an appreciation for these old Christmas spirituals.  I am not saying that that's all we should sing.  Nor am I saying that some of these "newer" ones (at least from the '40s, '50s and '60s) should be banned, not at all.

I just find so many ditties today cheapen the real meaning of Christmas.

The following songs are just a few that I really enjoy: "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas," "I'll be Home for Christmas," "Deck the Halls with Balls of Holly."  They are uptempo and uplifting, with a lot of fun lyrics.

The author of the following Christmas hymn was Charles Wesley, brother of the preacher, John Wesley, one of the founders of the Methodist church.  As I am neither a Methodist nor a musician, so I can write about this man and his songs without any bias.

This Charles Wesley was an interesting character:  He was the eighteenth child of nineteen, and a prolific songwriter (having written almost 9,000 songs in his lifetime).

The song? I thought you would never ask! Think about the following words of one of the most venerable Christmas hymns that has been around for over 300 years:

"Come, thou long-expected Jesus, born to set Thy people free.
From our fears and sins release us; let us find our rest in Thee.

Israel's Strength and Consolation, Hope of all the earth Thou art;
Dear Desire of every nation, joy of every longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver, born a Child and yet a King,

Born to reign in us forever, now Thy gracious kingdom bring.

By Thy own eternal Spirit, rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all-sufficient merit, raise us to Thy glorious throne."

Were things as bad then as they now?  Was he writing a social commentary on the state of affairs with England?  I'm thinking "yes" in both cases.  It is so meaningful that what he sensed in his culture was the need to have a Deliverer—just like today, yes?

Let me isolate a few phrases for you: "...born to set His people free. From our fears and sins release us."  That part is still so relevant to us today, isn't it?

"By Thy own eternal Spirit, rule in all our hearts alone."  Again, that's a real sentiment that applies to us today.

Believe it or not, I'm actually not trying to preach here.  My suggestion for you and yours is to pull these old hymns from somewhere in your house.  If not, pull them off the Internet. Are you up for singing them?  I promise that I won't sneak in and listen, if that's any consolation.

There is a depth of meaning for everyone who cares to listen to these types of songs.  I find intriguing that what Mr. Wesley observed and "commented on" back then is still as relevant today, perhaps even more so.

Your journey into the hallowed world of these old, stalwart hymns could add a little zest to this year's celebration.   And I assure you, it won't involve your grandma getting hurt by a reindeer.

 

 

No comments: