Thursday, June 20, 2019

Something on my Mind: El Fungo Says (1)

Sometimes Cousin Reggie —that distant, but still not distant enough, relative from the East—sends me a brief note, via Morse code. Morse code? Yes, indeed, he hasn't quite caught up with modern technology.

He addressed me by my Spanish name, and that's a bit of a code in and of itself. Between you and me, I think he's trying to be witty. He 's about halfway there, if you get my drift.

Anyway, he's often pushing the envelope when it comes to questions—real zingers, indeed. He recently Morse-coded (is the verb form even a word?) me the following questions; here's the first one:

"Hey El Fungo. Do you have any serious thoughts on this vaccination rage that is sweeping the land?"

Good question, Cousin Reggie. That's really brave of you to bring this up. It's not popular to challenge the status quo these days. And I think the word "rage" is a good choice on your part. I cannot understand how people who promote injections into kids get so enraged when this discussion comes up. And as well, they get all up in arms with those of us who want to take care of the health of our own kids. Go figure.

It seems that almost everyone in the pro-vaxx camp refuses to even discuss it rationally. In one sense, I don't blame them, but not for the reasons you may think.

You asked if I had any thoughts about this serious matter. Yes, I do, but mostly what I would say wouldn't likely be listened to. There are a lot of reasons, mostly scientific, and it's so sad that these cautions are not being heeded. And I wouldn't know where to start, anyways.

As you know, hundreds thousands of families like ours are completely committed to pro-life and pro-health. Just in case you were wondering whether pro-vaxxers are anti-health or anti-science, we are very pro-health and pro-science.

It's very divisive matter, I get it, and there are a lot of raw emotions on both sides of the argument. This includes a wide diversity of walks of life, including some health and medical professionals.

I recognize that I am making broad-brush claims. This column is not a detailed, footnoted treatise. In fact, for this column and the three more to follow, it is simply a response to a fan (Reggie, you're really a fan, but you did write me a letter. I sense you speaks for more others.)

It is really important to consider alternative viewpoints. But there is no real platform in the public arena to work through this issue. I really wish both sides could come together and discuss their differences, as much as possible.

I would have to say that I see a lot of intriguing secrecy and inconclusive evidence in this whole process from the pro-vaxx camp. It is not totally conclusive with either side, though I have seen, heard, and read enough to alarm me. So I say, when in doubt, hold off.

We're talking about the health and welfare of our children, so we need to be very, very cautious. There are many other issues that there are two distinct sides (e.g., fluoridation),  where there seems to be a reasonable truce, so why not regarding vaccination?

One of the most egregious matters that comes to mind is how the State is overstepping parental rights in this matter. That is very worrisome, and may be the bigger issue in this discussion.

You must be aware of the warnings about restricting shopping and school attendance—e.g, in New Brunswick and New York, respectively—based on flimsy yet popular evidence. And my fear is that it will be a growing trend, but in the wrong direction.

It worries the you-know-what out of me when the State can take such draconian measures by prohibiting non-vaccinated kids in their personal lives. I know "shopping and attending" is in the public area, but aren't vaccinated people safe from health risks?

If the issue is Ebola or cholera, established diseases that often lead to death, I see the need for protection. We need to be so careful when i t may appear to be a some unproven witch hunt.

Speaking from a scientific perspective, do we have any idea what is in the vial that kids are being injected with? I hear it is really dangerous stuff. This comes from qualified medical people, not health quacks. I believe if parents knew what was being injected into their children, the argument would be dead in its tracks.

And maybe they do; hence, the outcry.

Another point, Cousin Reggie, is this: If immunization is so effective, what's the fear? If a vaccinated child comes in contact with a non-vaccinated child, why worry? The vaccination is supposed to be effective, so there should be no risk of taking ill, right? Apparently not. That is dangerously ineffective logic (and inconsistent) to me.

I have even heard of kids who were vaccinated still coming down with the very disease they were vaccinated against. Funny, I don't read that in the mainstream media.

Aren't you proud of me for not even mentioning the "autism" argument? There are so many other legitimate reasons why we need to be be so very careful these days.

I should develop this further, but space and the nature of this column forbid. I don't doubt that many medical practitioners are sincere is their position on vaccination. I just say, as in so many other quirky notions these days, do what you (as a parent) think is right, and please let the rest of us do the same.

Oh, I see you you have a few more questions for me. Let me answer them in the next column.



No comments: