Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Books, Wonderful Books

I love books and everything to do with books – which includes the "three Rs," namely, reading, reaching, and relaxing. And I am very happy to say that I have inculcated the love of reading in all ("all," as in the boys, too) my kids. In addition to that, all my girls have worked at, or do work at, the local library here in Foremost. I serve the community by sitting on the same library board. I have no idea how many books we take out each week.

Reading is probably not the most "cool" pastime of our culture. In fact, a person who reads a lot is considered a bookworm; I personally would rather be known as a book stallion. Is there such an animal as macho speed reader? Didn't think so.

I would literally feel as unprepared for a trip if I didn't take a book or two as I would if I forgot my shaving kit. The only exception would be if I were being billeted by someone who had an extensive library and I knew I could mooch off, uh, enjoy their library. And that I have done many, many times. (To the best of my recollection, I'm sure I've returned all borrowed books.)

Speaking of libraries: There are a number of people in my circle of friends who are known as 'bibliophiles' (biblios, book; phileo, love – hence, lover of books). We often share books, book titles, and even recommend book series. Not the hunky stuff of real men, I suppose, but someone has to provide balance in this world, don't they?

I often thought that with the onslaught of the Internet, the place for books and all its related enterprises (publishing houses, bookstores, libraries, etc.) would decrease with time. I suggest the opposite has taken place. The instant access of the Internet has proven to be quite a hook for many – actually, far too many – and a good book still has an appropriate place in our daily lives.

Let me suggest why this is so:

1. Books are portable. You can carry them by hand, or stick them where even the thinnest laptop couldn't go. In other words, they can simply be moved around with limited regard for their space and your convenience. Books are like a classroom without desks, teachers, and homework.

2. Books are versatile. You don't have to boot them up, plug them in, or even learn how to operate them. If you do, you have other issues. Reading books has always been for the excitement of the child, the curiosity of the teen, the respite of the middle-aged, and the friend of the old. In a pinch, you can always use them to prop up furniture.

3. Books are durable. You can fling them, drop them, stack them, and shelve them – adding no danger to their longevity. Myself, whenever possible, I buy hardcover books; they just tend to last so much longer than paperbacks. It is one those rare possessions that can last a lifetime; you can't say that about a computer.

4. Books are affordable. Even a good hardcover can be had for under $20.00 from the right used bookstore. If we are still contrasting books with computers (and we are), there is no comparison to what $100 will get you (many books) and what it will not (essentially next to nothing current).

Everyone has their favourite author, and I am no exception. Do you recognize the names of Archer, Bell, Brouwer, Bunn, Christie, Grisham, Lewis, Wodehouse, et al? Even if you didn't, you are neither better nor worse for it. Taste in books is very much a personal, subjective matter – not unlike movies, television, and music.

However, I must admit that I am shocked at how few people, usually on the male side of our culture, do not read books. It is actually a double-shock because these same people are often quite proud of it, though there is absolutely nothing to be proud of.

You see, it is the reading of books that expands our horizons, increases our vocabulary, and simply balances us out nicely. While it is good to read the newspapers and magazines and even surf the 'net, the real advantage is in books. You can always dig deeper, travel further, and think greater when you have consumed a good book or two.

So as we head into the fall, the season of back-to-school, nippy evenings, and a slower pace, I suggest to you that you renew your love affair with books. Try snuggling up to a laptop while curled up on a couch, drinking coffee. Possible, but not sensible.

And next time you have a bath, leave the PC on the desk. "Green Eggs and Ham" will do just fine between the bubbles and the rubber ducky. I know that for a fact because I read it in a book.

No comments: