Friday, August 15, 2008

Holidays in Excess

I was in one of my favourite pre-owned clothing stores the other day, when I got the shock of my life. I stared at what I thought was a monster. I asked myself: Are my progressive lenses acting up again or or are the clerks here getting uglier? I stopped short in my tracks when I saw some headless freak poised to serve at the end of the till. It was then that I realized that if this was August, then it must be Hallowe'en at V---- V------.

It was almost enough to make me do the "Monster Mash" on the roof of my van.

You've read my rant about the morbid darkness that Hallowe'en brings out in many of us, and my rant about seasonal events a season or two early, so I won't go to either place again. In fact, I don't think I have any rants in my pants today.

If I can pull out the philosopher card here, I would suggest that holidays, seasons, events, traditions, and anniversaries (of all sorts) are healthy for the culture – and obviously for those who comprise it. I think where we err is in the excess and indulgence of it all.

Take Hallowe'en as an example. What is wrong with a mask here, a costume there? The answer, of course, is nothing much. After all, goalies wear masks and costumes, uh, uniforms. It is the excess and indulgence, the getting-carried-away of the thing that I lament.

Christmas, too, comes to mind. When one scrapes away the presents, the drinking, the food, the money (just for starters) – all the excesses, if you will – you will find very little of what Christmas is really all about. Regardless of your religious persuasion, your historical persuasion should tell you that that first Christmas does not resemble last year's Christmas.

The philosopher's card I spoke of is to analyze why we get carried away at, say, a Super Bowl party, a New Year's Eve party, or, heaven forbid, a stag party. It seems that we are under some sort of restraint, some sort of set of emotional shackles, so when there is an opportunity to let loose, we do -- in a very big bang sort of way.

Why?

Again, in and of themselves it is great for guys to get together for the Super Bowl game at someone's house; I did it for years during my stint at Kamloops. Even New Year's Eve can be a time of significance, namely, meaningful visits, and an evening of reflection and anticipation. Stag party? The term is a little crude, but why not get together and celebrate one of the most meaningful events in a man's life, but without the cheap bawdiness of a strip club atmosphere?

I think if I saw some of my readers right at this point in the column, they would be making 'square' symbols with their hands. (Notice I said 'they' and not 'you'? I know you wouldn't do that.) However, I don't think I am all that square; in fact, I might be considered well-'rounded'. It's just that certain trends alarm me.

So, got an anniversary of sorts coming up, one of those annual events? Celebrate and commemorate, even commiserate, if you must. Carry on, but don't get carried away; let go, but don't let loose.

In fact, I might just head back to that favourite pre-owned clothing store to celebrate something myself; I just to make sure which clerk to talk to.

No comments: