Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Best Christmas Gift

I don't believe I have lost my primitive curiosity for Christmas presents with my name on them. I understand, at this point of writing, that there are some under the Scotch pine from Cranbrook with my name on them. This is good. All is right with the world.

It is everything I can do within my power to not get down, grab the gifts and shake them.

At my age, I have essentially everything I need – and if I really want it, I would rather go out and buy it myself. I know what type of book, tie, mug, and CD that I want. However, I would not be so crass as to show my disappointment if my child or student were to buy me something I didn't want. I would at least mumble a feigned delight, then move on to another round of egg nog.

Donate it to the Post, yes; make a stink about, no.

But beyond my little jurisdiction down here in the Back Seventy, I would love to give some gifts to others who are in desperate need of them. You see, in the broad range of issues plaguing our world – that would be Alberta, Canada, our friends to the south, and every other nation on this globe – there are many gifts that they need, gifts that they don't have enough of.

For starters, I would give every leader of every country two gifts each: Wisdom and Compassion. Leadership is thankless task – just ask any middle manager or parent – and no matter what one does, there will always be critics. But there is no need to exacerbate any situation with selfish, insensitive, and short-sighted decisions. So, Mister Premier, Prime Minister, President and Ruler-for-Life, lead your people with the gift of wise compassion. It will likely make your people more contented, run your economy more smoothly, and leave your cities more secure. It could also quite likely get you re-elected.

Another gift I would leave under a tree is that of Common Sense. There are a lot of trees that need this one: The afore-mentioned leaders, plus all those responsible for children (eg., parents and teachers), and I would even throw in peace officers of every stripe, need a heavy dose of common sense. It seems when people rule with a code book they leave their common sense behind. Common sense doesn't mean breaking the rules; it means just bending them a little.

Self-control is a gift that so many today need. They need it when it comes to their out-of-control tempers, to eating and sleeping habits, to indulgent and inter-personal behaviour, for starters. A generation that has been given so much, like our under-30's, seems to respond with short fuses, ingratitude, and disconnectedness. Hang out at a mall some night for a sociological study of the species. You may frightened at what the future looks like.

While there are so many other gifts that I would like to leave under everyone else's tree, I sense that I too need these same gifts. Raising a family demands each one of these, as I'm sure you would agree. Every one of our marriages and family lives would be stronger and healthier if each one of us brought a little more wisdom, compassion, common sense, and self-control into them.

Funny how these gifts, once they're opened and worn, if you will, become a natural wardrobe for facing the for New Year. So, even if you don't get what you want later on this week, you may get what you need. And what you need may be the best gift ever.

And that would mean something even greater, namely, the true spirit of Christmas.

No comments: