Monday, December 7, 2009

Not a Green Christmas, I Hope

 

There are many reasons why I love Christmas. A few columns ago, I discussed why fall is my favourite season; I stand by that sentiment. It would be ludicrous to say that winter is my favourite season, especially in light of the blowing snow, bitter gales, and blizzard-like conditions that we have endured over the past couple of weeks.


Christmas, and this is my first reason, then, is a pleasant break from an otherwise crummy weather pattern – a pattern of cold, colder, and coldest.


I also love Christmas because of all the goodwill that is expressed, both in word and deed. I have no hang-up whatsoever when someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas." (Indeed, I definitely have more issues with a "Healthy Winter Solstice" greeting.). Even more than the stale "Hello, how are you?" I believe people are actually sincere and interested when they greet me that way.


Another reason involves gifts. Strangely, I find giving presents a hoot, but getting presents a pain. My wish list is pretty short: gift certificates, anything Canucks-related, and certain CD's. By the way, in case you are thinking of something special for your favourite area columnist (that would be me, Horace - unless you have a thing for Ann Landers), stick with the gift certificates – good for meals at places that sound like Cheesecake Cafe, Swiss Chalet, and Montana's.


And you can hold off on the ties, mugs, and socks. Please.


The whole Christmas dinner thing – the turkey and all the fixings – is yet another reason I love this time of year. For ourselves, we could have that meal anytime of year (it helps that we grow and sell our own turkeys), but there is something special about Christmas dinner on Christmas Day. For the Funston home, we also have a special Christmas Eve meal, a special Christmas morning breakfast, topped off by a traditional dinner.


I like everything about Christmas dinner - well, almost everything: I hate Brussels sprouts. It's hard to believe that the same country that has graced us with Belgium chocolates is the same one that has corrupted our dining rooms with Brussels sprouts. If I were describing this, uh, food to a blind man, I would use words like rotten, putrid, gross, and unhealthy.


So, where are we? Christmas, in my estimation, is great because of Christmas Day, the goodwill that seems genuine, the giving of presents, and Christmas dinner. I could add that I do enjoy getting seasonal newsletters. To clarify what I said last week, I do enjoy getting them – I just wish they were more interesting and informative. I know it is hard to summarize the whole year in one letter, but people could at least use both sides, make the font smaller, and get beyond the silly things that the kids did. (Do that, but say more.)


By the way, is it Christ-mass? Christ-miss? Or Christ-mess? The event is well worth celebrating, and even more so when you understand its historical, biblical roots. You can celebrate the season with the "masses," but have no singular, personal meaning from it. You may even get caught up with the myths of the season (starting with Santa, mistletoe, silly ditties, and parties), yet "miss" the whole significance of the Day. Or it may be that the whole time is one huge "mess" – emotionally, financially, and physically - when you expect too much, spend too much, and drink too much.


It is a temptation for all of us to get caught on peripheral issues at this time of year, and lose sight of the real reason for the season. That can be the plight of religious and irreligious people alike.


Here's for a white Christmas. I'd have a blue, blue Christmas if I had to eat those gooey, green balls one more time.



No comments: