Sunday, August 8, 2010

Uniform Reasoning

 

I used to be a man who went to work in a uniform. I had a certain beat that I walked, five days a week. In my own modest way I would say I looked good – blue shirt, black pants,dark tie, and a couples of choices for hats. That job last somewhere between eight and nine years, even though I was already bored stupid with it after eight or nine days.


You see, it's not very stimulating to be a mailman (or letter-carrier, in today's parlance).


Men (and women, for that matter) are an arresting sight when in uniform – and I don't mean just when they are arresting you. For example, the guy doing lino in my house showed up last week in a uniform. It turns out he does maintenance at the border, and wears these real cool digs as he fixes things. It caught me off guard when he strolled up my sidewalk, wanting to come into my house. Looking back, I think he was on his way home from work, so it wasn't worth switching outfits.


Speaking of the border, I have been pleasantly surprised with the warm, personable treatment I have received in recent trips into Montana and back. Oftentimes, these guys and gals in particular appear to abuse their roles as law enforcement officers and can be very abrupt and stern. But this time we encountered officers in uniform conducting themselves appropriately. It makes it easier to respect such when kind demeanour goes along with sharp suit.


Another case in point: My couple hours at the RCMP Musical Ride recently exposed me to all sorts of peace officers in all sorts of uniforms – the regular police uniform, the sheriff's outfit, and the serge suit. Again, they were very distinguished, though I didn't wanted to get too close to them. Usually when that happens, I am handing them my driver's license and vehicle registration.


Personally, I think I liked the redcoats the best. I know they are only for show and special occasions (eg., weddings and funerals), but they really add a lot of class to the RCMP.


A few weeks ago I took some of my kids to Waterton and the same thing happened, namely, each employee of Parks Canada wore a uniform and carried out their business in a very professional manner. I was very impressed and proud of how they represented my country. To be sure, they weren't representing the law, but they were representing something, and carried out their duty with class.


While I am not going to use this as a platform for a push for uniforms for students, I still think there is something noteworthy of dressing up even for school. When I see what passes as school garb these days, I am amazed kids are even allowed to leave the house. That would be one reason why I don't think teachers should have too many dress down days during the school year. "Jean Friday," or whatever they call it, should be enough.


The same can be said for what is worn at other standard public events, such as weddings, funerals, the work place, and church functions. I am not suggesting standard uniform dress, by any stretch; however, I am advocating that we dress up for the occasion, mostly out of respect for that occasion.


Does a fireman fight a fire better when in a uniform? Does the mail go through faster when the clerk or letter-carrier is dressed for the occasion? Hardly. But there is an innate sense of respect, almost honour, when one sees these professionals carry out their respective duties. And we know that we need to show more respect for these people as they carry out their duties to serve us.


So, looking and acting in excellence is really the gist of this week's column. I personally respond positively to someone who who dressed appropriately, then acts appropriately. There is nothing worse than a well-dressed fool. I would take a poorly-dressed gentleman or lady over a fool any day.


Uniforms alone do not command respect. It is how the officer, clerk, guide, waiter/waitress or whoever conducts oneself is really the ticket here. The outward, if you will, only enhances that inward.


So, next time you take my order, pump my gas, ask for my driver's license, and serve me in some other capacity, I will treat you with the respect you deserve, so long as you are acting and dressing appropriately. I'd even add a "Yes, yer honour," to boot.



No comments: