Monday, September 20, 2010

The Fire of Conviction

 

This world is full nutcases, with the exception of some of you and me, though I am having second thoughts about you.


Case in point: You will recall the antics of that Florida pastor who, only a couple weeks ago, threatened to burn as many Islamic holy books—also known as the Koran—as possible on the anniversary of the World Trade Center's implosion, nine years ago. Cooler heads prevailed, and the fire never got lit, although he did spark some interesting responses.


Mind you, a phone call from the president will do that every time.


Brother Booboo, as I have "affectionately" dubbed him, was a pronounced embarrassment to me at every level. In other words, I could relate to him as white, English-speaking male, likely in his mid-fifties, who had a passion for what is right. I don't know his Biblical convictions, but I assume many of them would line up with mine.


However, there is a way to express one's outrage at things you disagree with in the world, and there is a way not to. Pastor Indiscretion, another affectionate term, chose the latter course of action. Regardless of his feelings of what many feel is a very dangerous book, he ignited a fire of global outrage as he threatened to ignite a different (and literal) fire.


Protests throughout the Muslim world were heard and seen, and even felt, on every television network. Not a few deaths were the results of his threat, even after it was rescinded. Even our own prime minister came through with a very clear and clarion testimony of his faith in Christ. In one of the most bizarre examples of 'irony,' Brother Booboo's divisive intentions produced remarkable unity throughout the world.


He sounds like a classic twit because his conviction against error and stand for truth soared to new heights (or was it depths?) of idiocy. While I believe there is only one Holy Book that truly liberates mankind from themselves--and it's not the Koran, in my opinion--I am not convinced I have any right to stomp on other people's faith values. Or burn their books, for that matter. Challenge them, yes; perhaps even debate them; but I draw the line at burning the book itself.


I would take a different tack, and this column is one of those tacks. I would, for instance, disagree with the teaching of a so-called holy book that would condone the stoning of a woman caught in adultery (and notice it always is only the woman). I would decry a book that encourages the use of indiscriminate venom, also known as suicide bombers, that snuffs out the lives of hundreds of innocent victims across the globe. And I would denounce a body of writings that sees Jews, Christians, and non-Muslims as the perpetual enemy of their version of religion, needing to be eradicated.


Back to Brother Booboo: If he wanted to be truly effective in his antagonism towards the Koran, I have a few positive suggestions. One, he could flood the airwaves of the Third World with readings from his Scripture; two, he could make his Bible available in the language of every Muslim in the world; and three, he could open the doors of his church and his community to serve the needs of Muslims who have found freedom and refuge in the open arms of America.


Wait a minute! That has happened and is still happening as I write. For every "loose cannon" out there, such as our pastor friend (and I use the term loosely), there are thousands of others down there, as well as overseas, who are putting the truth and power of that Good Book into practice on a daily basis.


Maybe that's something positive our media moguls should be promoting for once.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely happy to find this. cool job!