Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ian

 

The name Ian Arthur Luke Casson likely means absolutely nothing to you. But for me, it (he?) is the end result of two simple cells that were joined together just over nine months ago. He represents the expression of love, the expansion of family, and entered the world in Vernon, BC, last week. I am married to his grandmother, I am the father of his mother, so that would make me his maternal grandfather.


If you were any closer, I'd hand out cigars - the candy version, of course.


In one of life's true ironies, the blessed news of Ian's healthy arrival came during the same week that another baby was in the news. This time, however, the news was not good and exciting: An eighteen-year-old mother was formally charged with the murder of her weeks-old infant. And then there was the other mother – also in Calgary - charged with the murder of her ten-month-old child, in a case that was re-opened from a suspicious death back in 2004, if I have my facts straight.


My thoughts were a littler scrambled when I saw my beautiful daughter and her delighted husband cuddling their newborn son. I had the other mothers in mind., as I viewed this happy couple. I do not know the circumstances of the attacks, only the results. As much as I grieve for the context whereby a mother could kill her own child, I still find it repugnant that it could even happen, especially to a defenseless baby.


To be sure, we all get frustrated with our kids, and we all give them a well-deserved swat on the backside, but violence (not to be confused with spanking) to the little victims of our society – whether it is before they are born or after – is an unconscionable crime against humanity. I have no doubt that there were some obvious extenuating circumstances that led up to these crimes. It is a wonder someone didn't see this coming. There are all sorts of agencies out there to help mothers of newborns cope, so it's not for want of assistance.

If a stranger did it, there would be no doubt that he would get a "life" sentence. (Note the quotation marks: A life sentence means only a few years before there is a possibility of parole.) So, be they strangers or mothers, there needs to be justice. Any butchers of babies should get help, no doubt about it, but they should also face the appropriate punishment.


But it is not all gloom and doom out there, even though that's stuff news stories are made of. In my very wide circle of acquaintances, babies – and by extension, lots of children – are wanted, welcomed, and wished for. It sort of old fashioned, namely, stay-at-home moms, lots of kids, and the priority of family life. I have been present at a number of weddings in the past few years and I honestly cannot count how many loved and loveable children have come out of those unions.


I am not suggesting that everyone needs to have a large family, nor am I implying that there aren't struggles with raising kids these days. That would be misleading and foolhardy. However, I am gripped with deep concern at the cavalier attitude towards family life in our culture, with killing one's own children is the ultimate act of supreme selfishness.


I grieve for those who view marriage and children as a burden. I grieve for those who suffer the trauma of divorce and death. And I grieve for those who feel there are no alternatives.


But in last week's juxtaposition of baby news, I grieve for someone else: You see, somewhere in the greater Calgary area, or wherever he lives, there is another grandfather. He will not be able to hug his grandson, buy him things, take him places, or even watch him grow. My heart breaks for him, my prayers go out to him.


I am so grateful for the birth of Ian Arthur Luke Casson, and once again it has given me even more incentive to make this world better place for him to grow up in.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I realize this is stating the very obvious... that was very well written, as is most everything I read of yours. Ian is very blessed to have a grandfather who would drive what had to be over 40 hours of travel time to see him and bring his grandmother.

Stephen