Saturday, November 27, 2010

Merry Christmas - May I Say That?

 

Somewhere in the convoluted course of my annual traditions, I can't seem to start my Christmas columns until I get that first Christmas card from my Aunt Bob from north of Edmonton. Or till I have heard about someone's Christmas staff party when Max from Accounting made a complete a_s of himself trying to kiss the water cooler.


On the other hand, it is easy to write about this "most wonderful time of the year" when I see fields and trees (and my mudroom) all covered in snow. And it doesn't hurt my traditional, festive spirit to be buoyed with the recent news that the term, "Merry Christmas" (with an emphasis on the 'Christmas' part), is making a comeback.


For years, there has been a growing resentment—only part of the multiculturalism disaster—against anything religious to do with Christmas. Somehow the secularists, the atheists, and the New Agers have waged a war against the well-documented birth of arguably history's greatest figure. (Note: I am intentionally leaving out any Biblical reference, at least at this point.)


I would like to see these same people try that in Iran or Somalia or Sudan. I can see it now: "No more 'Merry Mohammedmas' for us." I thought so: They would last one night before they donated their respective heads to charity.


There is no question that secular effects come from secular causes – in other words, in a culture that continuously de-emphasizes the Scripture as its basis for law, marriage, and economics, it's bound to come up empty when it comes to celebrating the arrival of the One that that very Scripture is all about. The logical flow doesn't leave me, that is, one leads to the other—that I understand.


What I fail to grasp is simply this: Why mess with something as innocuous and upbeat as celebrating Christmas? Why the angry urge to re-name it, then re-package it? If there was a religious curfew, say, like Ramadan, imposed by wild-eyed Christians, I think you would have a case. Or if there was a Crusade-like edict, eg., "celebrate Christmas our way or lose your head," I would side with the secularists.


But none of the above is happening, or will be happening. (Just as a side note: If you want to worry about religious rules being crammed down your throat, please monitor the growing Islamic threat seeping throughout Europe, and wait for its arrival on our shores within the next generation.)


Meanwhile, back in Bethlehem...


Christmas, more than Valentine's Day, Groundhog Day, Canada Day, and such, has taken the brunt of the secular mindset, and I sincerely think this is tragic. Even the pronouncing of the word (sounds more like it's named after someone called Chris) really doesn't sound like one is using the name of Christ—if, in fact, that is the real issue.


In one of life's more delicate ironies, the name of Christ is used constantly and repeatedly, on a daily basis, but never in an innocent and upbeat way. If you missed my point, please make someone stub their toe, hit their head, or jam their finger.

If someone wants to wish me a "Happy Holiday," or a "Merry Yuletide," I will thank him. I will regard that as a genuine seasonal greeting. I won't demand they wish me the only approved winter cheer. That would be imposing my standards (or even convictions) on them. But I would expect the same courtesy, namely, don't make me out to be a religious nutcase, or turn it into a criminal offense, because I choose to celebrate this grand season with the word "Christ" on my lips.


Here's a proposal for you: You may keep your Santa Claus, just let me keep my Christ; you may lose control with your Christmas spirits, just let me keep under control with a balanced Christmas spirit; you may want to view this time of year as an opportunity to rack up some serious debt, just let me invest in friends and family.


And by the way, have a very Merry Christmas.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice post. I really love reading these types or articles. I can?t wait to see what others have to say.

Anonymous said...

thanks amigo! great post!

Anonymous said...

Ah!!! at last I found what I was looking for. Somtimes it takes so much effort to find even tiny useful piece of information.

Anonymous said...

I think other site proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and excellent user friendly style and design, let alone the content. You are an expert in this topic!