Wednesday, December 22, 2010

One Day at a Time

 

As the year 2011 creeps ever so closely, I remain amazed that I am still around to be, well, amazed by it. This past year has not been a particular kind year to yours truly, though I make ever effort to refrain from wearing my heart on my sleeve, so to speak. One especially grievous setback in my own life this past year has been a reminder of life's fragile balance.


But, I must move on, take a deep breath, and rely on the fact that the One Who made me is the One Who is in control. I don't always understand that, but I believe it. I trust I can say that without sounding preachy or sanctimonious. I find little comfort in trusting in my own ability (or lack thereof) within or some vague cosmic force out there somewhere.


The Good Book speaks so eloquently and relevantly (as usual) about "a time to weep, and a time to laugh," as well as "a time to be born, and a time to die." And it has been that type of year, down here in the Deep South. It has been a brutal year for unplanned deaths for many. I don't know if there have been more tragedies, or it's just that I am aware of more people. Or it could simply be that I sense it more because of my own human fragility


There must be a pall of grief and sorrow over parts of the county of Forty-Mile, thanks to a number of unexpected and unwanted deaths in this past year. My thoughts and prayers go out to the many new widows in the area, especially in Foremost. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that not one of those families ever dreamed that 2010 would be the last for year for their loved one.


So with those morbid thoughts in mind, some may face the New Year with a certain timidity. We make summer holiday plans, but we may never see June. We buy our Christmas gifts early, but ours never gets opened. We anticipate another birthday milestone, but end up being honoured with a headstone instead.


Grim thoughts, I agree, but it is a wise person who reflects upon the shortness of life and the certainty of death. While we are not promised tomorrow, we do have today. And if I can kick across one special thought today, it is this: Live everyday as if it were your last.


Now that can be construed in one of two ways: One, the old adage, "eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die," has come to mean live it up, drink it down, and let it all hang out; or two, cherish the relationships you have, patch up the differences between you and someone else, and enrich the lives around you.


I despise the former response, yet I fail miserably in the latter one. In other words, I wish I would cherish as I should, patch up as I need to, and enrich as ought to. No man on his death bed ever wished he worked more hours, made more money, or was away from home more often. Rather, he would tell you that he wished he had valued those around him more.


Who reading this column today will be reading it next year? (For that matter, who writing it will be writing it next year?) If all goes according to (our) plan, each one of us will be, but we certainly don't know for sure.


Some wag has said the following: Today is the present, so that's why it is a gift (play on words carefully intended). Enjoy the gift of laughter, love, and support. Give the gift of laughter, love, and support. The very fact that you can read this means you are still around, still available for those near and dear to you.


So as you stand up (or sit down) to face the New Year, do it with the certain realization that it is yours to treasure, yours to enjoy—one day at a time. Let's plan to meet here again next year, same time, same place. All being well.


No comments: