Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Foremost on my Mind: Bring on the PC's of Canada

 

Well, it's all becoming a little clearer now: There will be a very big day next month, when all the chatter is settled, when all the uncertainty is cleared up, and and when we can move on with our lives. Early May will also be a big day for our friends to the south, because some of those involved have strong American ties to Canadian issues.


Well, you're probably saying to yourself, there goes El Fungo once again, sounding off as usual, pontificating on the politics of Canada, ranting about the unwanted election of May 2, cramming his right wing views down our unwilling throats.


Election, smell-ection. I'm talking about the National Hockey League Playoffs, people!


By early May, all the naysayers about Vancouver's ability to go deep into the playoffs will be silent; all the wondering as to whether Calgary's in or out (they'll be out, believe me) will be laid to rest; and America will be impacted by empty or full rinks, depending how far some of their teams go into the playoffs.


I was amused with Theo Fleury's recent outburst. He was adamant that Vancouver wouldn't make it past the first round. Talk about grandstanding. You'd think he was Michael Ignatieff, sounding off just to get some added exposure for yet another project of his. He must have had another book or television show to promote, and needed the free publicity. I personally think he would have a little more credibility if he was an active player, or at least try to come up with some fresh arguments, rather than the usual anti-Vancouver Canucks tripe.


I'm drooling with bias as I write this, to be sure, but I see this as the year that Vancouver could easily go all the way. At this point (ie., with only a few games left in the season), I predict either Vancouver or San Jose coming out of the West, with Boston or Washington from the East. (I just can't see either Philadelphia or Pittsburgh getting past the second round.) I won't go any further than that, though I think out a Vancouver-Boston tilt would be great for hockey.


Mind you, what would really stir my fry is a Vancouver-Montreal finale, a good ole' Canadian showdown, if you will, but I can't see Montreal getting out of the East at all.


Calgary Dames fans, and maybe the occasional Edmonton Broilers fans, make it very clear that Vancouver has never won the Good Lord S's Mug, so they have no credibility until they do. Good point, I must say; I can't argue with facts. But in the grand scheme of things, where drinking from the Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal, one must consider all sorts of other sideshows.


Let me suggest the following: Winning a division title, year after year, must mean something; simply making the playoffs is a credible factor (please check Calgary's playoff record over the past fifteen years); scoring titles, and runners up for said titles; the number of 20+ goal scorers in any given year; plus all the hardware (Hart, Calder, Ross, Vezina, etc.). It seems that Vancouver has been there, done that, and now they are about to climb the last peak of Mount Stanleycup.


In other words, the Big Dance may be the icing on the cake, but it takes a lot of other ingredients to make the cake to get there.

Vancouver will go far this year for the following reasons: 1. They have an awesome back-up goalie in Cory Schneider, if (and when) Luongo falters; 2. their defense is tougher, faster, and bigger than it has ever been before; 3. they can count on scoring from all four lines, not just the first two; 4. they have tremendous depth, both on their bench and on the farm; and 5. they are not blowing out the opposition, ie., they are not cruising their way to the top.


So, by May 2, two things should be clear in Canada: Stephen Harper will be back with a majority government, and the Vancouver Canucks will be well into the second (or third) round of the NHL playoffs.


I cast my vote for the only team that deserves it, the PC's of Canada. I believe that stands for the Precious Canucks of Canada.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you may want to place a twitter icon to your blog. I just bookmarked this article, although I must complete it manually. Simply my suggestion.