Saturday, June 25, 2011

Foremost on my Mind: Oh Canada

 

I'm not quite sure if I have ever lived in a time when virtually every nation on our poor planet is in some sort of serious trouble—be it economical, theological, cultural, or even natural. From Greece and Portugal in Europe, to seemingly every nation in Africa; from the Middle East to the Far East; and these are only the areas we hear about on CNN.


Even the bedrock of western civilization, the USA, is in deep financial, moral, and cultural trouble. And it's not only the leadership that's to blame: The people who make up that fine nation need to assume some responsibility. It's too easy to blame the government for everything.


If I believe half the information I have regarding America's money woes, I fear greatly for the future of our wonderful neighbours to the south of us. And, by extension, the rest of the Western nations. There are so many inter-connected strands of economical strategy, that when a strong nation fails, others could potentially go down with it.


And then there's Canada, my home and native land. I say this in view of Canada Day (also once known as Dominion Day) this Friday. Celebrating the birth of someone special is very important; celebrating the birth of a nation is likewise very special.


So, happy 144th birthday, Canada; you don't look a day over 100!


No matter how boring your History class was in public or private school, Canada has a very, very interesting past. Most of my historical gaps have been filled in by reading the likes of Pierre Berton and Ted Byfield. So as a warning, please don't let school get in the way of your education.


It is really hard to define what is distinct about Canadian culture these days. Back in the Dark Ages, it was easier to generalize. There are still vestiges of the old stereotypes, such as the prairies, hockey, maple syrup, the maple leaf, toques, our French and British heritage, and so forth. When I experience these words, I sense a genuine Canadianesque feeling in my bones. (It may not be a word, but it is certainly an emotion).


Over the years I have seen some serious revisionism regarding Canada's past, mostly through Social Studies textbooks. This is something all parents and school administrators should be wary of. In fact, in a moment of exasperation, I had indicated to my principal that I had no interest in teaching any revisionist form of Canadian history. Fortunately, others ended up teaching that subject, and I stayed with my favourites, namely, Bible and Grammar.


My point is simple: If we don't know where we have come from, how can we know where we are going. I know that's not original with me, but it still rings true. In terms of Canadian nationalism, we need to ask ourselves some questions. Here are some samplers:


Is the British parliamentary system the most effective for a country as widespread as ours? Is there a purpose, even an advantage, to a bi-lingualism? Did our forefathers handle the First Nations assimilation in the best possible way? Would the nation as a whole be stronger or weaker if we broke into three or four distinctive economic units? There are many more questions, and each one could not be thoroughly developed in a column like this. And you may be quite shocked at my personal take on these issues. But in the meantime, I leave these questions for the students and the politicians.


We do have a wonderful country. If you're not clear on that point, go live in the Congo for half a year, or try holidaying in East Timor.


I thought I would finish with what appears to be a poem. Actually, you know it as a song, with the first stanza getting sung at every major public event; this is simply the second stanza. Just sing it to the tune of "O Canada." You probably never learned this your high school history course.


Almighty Love, by Thy mysterious power,

In wisdom guide, with faith and freedom dow'r;

Be ours a nation evermore

That no oppression blights,

Where justice rules from shore to shore,

From lakes to northern lights.

May love alone for wrong atone;

Lord of the lands make Canada Thine own!

Lord of the lands, make Canada Thine own!



No comments: