Saturday, October 19, 2013

Foremost on my Mind: In All Thy Persons Command

It strikes me that some people have too much time on their hands these days. It's actually a problem I wish I had. I do eat, read, sleep, write, watch, work, etc., and I would be happy to do more of the same—if, in fact I had the time.

The people I am thinking of are those who spend a little too much time at their local cool coffee shop, jawing, gossiping, commiserating (a fancy word for being miserable with other people), and maybe even actually drinking coffee.

People with too much free time have participated in anti-pipeline protests, railway blockades, and university demonstrations. The trouble is, within these movements there are genuine concerns held by sincere opponents. I have no problem with that—just problems with anarchy.

Some things in this world are so sacrosanct (another fancy word for things honoured or revered) that we shouldn't even think about tweaking them.

Okay, I exaggerate a little: We should have the freedom to discuss why we struggle with religious holidays, or Father's Day, or someone's weight issues—but we should be careful when we openly challenge or harass others in their cherished and private matters. Political correctness is not the same as political sensitivity.

So if you, or one of your friends, has an issue with, say, the name of the Washington Redskins (with Redskins being the hot button these days), go ahead and express your opinion. It just seems quite irrelevant and removed from my world. Being a white Canadian probably factors into my perspective.

This is my seventh paragraph, so I must be getting near my point. It is as follows: Sons. Sons, as in “all thy sons command”--you know, that line that has been an integral part of our national anthem for decades. The word on the street—or would that be the local cool coffee bar?--is that “sons” is to limiting, too exclusive, maybe even too sexist.

I can't grasp what the alternative would be, nor am I very motivated to find out.

Again, being a white male Canadian (still) may keep me at a disadvantage from grasping the real issue here. I am aware that female soldiers serve Queen and country; I respect their right to choose to serve. Some have even been killed in action, and I am sincerely grateful for their sacrifice. However, I don't feel for a moment that the term “sons” is disrespectful or insensitive to their service.

You have heard of Thomas Mulcair, leader of the federal New Democratic Party. You should be aware that Thomas and Craig (that would be me) rarely, if ever, see eye-to-eye on anything. I respect his right to differ with me, and I trust he (and his party) can be mature enough to allow me to hold my views.

These views could include the wise use of natural resources (read: Alberta crude), the freedom for citizens to own guns (read: no gun control), the crucial role of traditional families (read: not same-sex), and so on.

When Thomas and Craig agree on something, that's well, something: I was (pleasantly) shocked when I discovered that we both agree that taking “sons” out of our national anthem is stupid, short-sighted, and unnecessary. Not sure if he used those words precisely, but he's not a county-famous columnist trying excite people. If “stupid” is too strong, I'm sorry. How about “petty”?

Some things we just don't mess with, no matter how politically correct (a fancy term for having lost one's common sense and balanced view) they appear to be. Taking “sons” out and coming up with with something else may appear to have a noble element to it, but it doesn't.

The question begs: Why? Then it begs one a bit louder: Why now? Finally, it screams: What's next?

What's next could be “manhole” becoming “person trench.” Will “mother nature” morph into “divine essence force”? Some of that tinkering has already taken place, especially around the Christmas, er, festive holiday, season.

If these people get their way here we'll have to drop Mother's Day, because many women cannot (or do not) want children; and motherhood is apparently a state of repression for all women everywhere. That sounds ridiculous, to be sure, but it all comes from the same goofy mindset.

I repeat: Freedom of speech, even if it's merely freedom of opinion, is one of the most cherished qualities of a civilized society. It should not be abused or even trivialized.

It's enough to make me drop in on a cool coffee shop for a strong one.



No comments: