Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Something on my Mind: A Calf is Born (2)

Any system works best when the rules are followed. Not perfect, of course, just best. I re-learned that rule with the recent birth of our calf, the subject of last week's column.

Let me explain:

If we follow the rules of the road, by and large, we'll have safe roads and successful travelling. I know there are mitigating circumstances, such as weather, road construction, idiotic drivers (now called "road rage") and such, but in the main, this rule works.

Likewise, if we follow the rules of healthy eating and living, it will usually work in our favour. You likely know these rules better than I do, but I suggest they include a nice mix of a balanced diet, and a deletion processed foods, refined sugars and all the rest of those other miserable restrictions.

My third example is that of building a house: Follow the rules and a solid house results; don't follow the rules and you have built structural grief.

Closer to the point of today's column: The same rules apply to life on the land, whether it involves crops or cows, both of which I admittedly know little about. That hasn't stopped me from trying and failing, then trying and failing some more (but not as much), then trying and getting a better handle on things.

So in grand scheme of things, then, the birth of a calf is a big deal to a "weekend rancher" like me (I like that term better than "gentleman farmer"). The rules of reproduction have been followed, and the result is a healthy calf.

So when I speak of "rules" in this context, I am referring to physiological or natural ones.

I can never quite grasp the mechanics, if you will, of the bull and the cow and what that union produces. Yes, I know about the bull and cow part (or would that be the birds and the bees?), but it's the whole gestational process that results in a healthy calf that amazes me.

And I hope I never get over that feeling of awe.

I also marvel at how each mother and calf bond instantly. Yes, there are exceptions to that rule, but in the main, they are connected instantly. Momma stands still when the calf wants to nurse; the calf is forever at her side; and the calf knows exactly where the milk is.

Uh, udder delight.

How do they both know what to do, having never been taught? Where did all those natural responses come from? I suggest there are some natural rules of inner design that they follow.

This is where I circle back to my "rules" commentary from the top. There are some inherent rules that, when followed, work for the betterment of all.

It's only a matter of days before that calf is eating grass. Where did that notion come from? Why doesn't it go after gophers like a dog does? Or pick away at seeds like a bird does?

This lesson of the calf reinforces the fact that there are rules of design in everything, such as driving, eating, or building, including relationships or lifestyle choices. And these rules of design are not harsh, onerous, or even unfavourable. Work with them, and they work for us.

I have to go now. I think there a calf hiding in the tall grass—just doing what comes naturally.


No comments: