Sunday, July 22, 2018

Something on my Mind): When I'm 64 (2)

You'll recall the little boy at the parade who was alarmed that the emperor had no clothes on. He pointed that out, but was quickly hushed up. He did hush up, but the fact remained that His Honour, Emperor Whats-his-face, still had no clothes on, no matter how many people didn't want to deal with it.

The fable should have been called, "The Emperor's No Clothes." And popular fantasy notwithstanding, the fact remained that the emperor still had no clothes on, no matter what people thought (or didn't think). Today, we need less sentiment, and more facts—agree?

The lesson I draw from that fable is that many seem to see life through rose-coloured glasses, seeing things in as positive a light as possible. That's political-correctness run amuck and it's coming home to roost.

In other words, there is no point in sugar-coating some of the harsh realities of scary trends.

While it is honourable to see good in as much as possible, it can mislead people into thinking that everything is okay when everything is not okay and getting worse. Let me expand on it.

Believe it or not, I am not as morbid as I sound, but I do take a conservative view of life. My conclusions have remained quite consistent for years. And now that I'm 64, they seem to be getting more conservative. As I mentioned last week. I see a severe deterioration of our society on a local level, imploding from within—socially, financially, sexually, morally, spiritually, and intellectually.

In other words, I see our greater problem is that we are falling apart internally, not internationally.

When I consider the deteriorating state of society these days, and what, in the main, was a very different condition even a generation ago, I can't help but be concerned. I have a rough idea of how things were trending in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. I'm aware of wars within our nation(s) along with the wars overseas. I am also aware of the drug abuse, the sex scandals, and the breakdown of law and order, even thirty years ago. I get it, and I'm not trying to whitewash it.

My point is, it's getting worse. Just check your local mall or nightly news broadcast.

We've gone from basing decisions on absolutes to floundering due to relativism, with disastrous results. And again, it can't help but get worse. You see, the "emperor" of public, popular opinion has no clothes on, and we need to be aware that. No sense sugarcoating it.

As you know, marriage and family life is the bedrock of any healthy society, and has been for thousands of years. That's a broad-based statement, but I stand by it. Secular observers have made it very clear that there is a direct connection between the breakdown of the family and petty crime, promiscuity, vandalism, drinking and drug use and much more.

And this comes from people involved directly in counselling and law enforcement business, with no conservative principles necessarily motivating them (like me).

You see, when there is no in-home accountability, no immediate repercussions, no consistent and loving discipline, the family breakdown will invariably lead to all sorts of problems.

As it was back them, hushing and censoring doesn't solve any problems. Pointing them out and dealing with them is a good place to start. While I am not forcing anyone to agree with my future-

gazing, I believe I have a case.

I just suggest that it's time more people spoke out and made sure the "emperor" was dressed.


No comments: