Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Something on my Mind: Confessions of a Writer

"Relevant" is one of those multi-faceted words that can be understood in a number of ways. It has multiple applications and contexts.  Here are a few considerations: It could mean changing an application of any truth by disregarding the past and exchanging it for the present.   It could mean doing anything and everything to gain favour with the current market.  Or it could mean embracing change for change sake, but leaving truth and orthodoxy in the dust.

While I should limit my comments to the writer,  it is the challenge of the retailer, preacher, media, and other spheres where people intersect with people.

The retailer, for instance, may be stuck in the 50's when it comes to marketing his wares (as well as the merchandise itself), and thus, be irrelevant for today's market. That is, of course, unless that is his market. There are many retailers who cater to that era and are very successful at it. But does that make him relevant or irrelevant? Is that even a fair question?

The preacher must be relevant, though certainly not at the cost of truth. Truth is always relevant, but it may be "packaged" in an irrelevant way, thus diminishing its effect. His style, stories, outlines, topics, and other techniques may come under the microscope of discernment, as he attempts to be relevant

In a preacher's context, sometimes how he presents his material may trump what he is presenting—how unfortunate!

The same can be said of the apparent relevance of the media personality (just the latest in technology and graphics), the school teacher (strictly a cool dude, friend of the students), the contractor (only the latest designs and patterns), and other vocations that involve people with people. At what point, if there is one, does relevancy overshadow effectiveness?

One may ask the following question when serving as a retailer, preacher, media icon, school teacher, and the others just above :  Am I relevant?

I just think that's the wrong question.

The real question for all those above, including writers, is: Am I making an impact?

It really doesn't matter if I am cool, hip, or modern, so long as I am having some sort of positive impact on my readers.  While that may be hard to gauge, changing and encouraging my readers' lives is the real litmus test.

There is always the need for each writer to apply good writing techniques, ample illustrations, while dealing with matters that are current (and thus not lost in the past), all the while scratching where it itches, soothing where hurts, and stimulating to the mind and conscience.

To me, as a writer, that is the mark of relevance! Needs of every sort demand relevant solutions, and writers are responsible to rise to the occasion.

Some of my favourite writers are not necessarily relevant, but their writing moves me, enthralls, me, and excites me. Does that make them relevant in the strictest form?   Probably not, but their writing is having an impact of my life (and my own writing as well), and that's where true relevance kicks in.

Of course, I need to ask myself: Am I relevant as a writer?  Well, certainly not in a cool, hip, or modern way, for sure. I certainly try to be relevant, but I do it as one who wants to make an impact on my readers (even as I write this paper).   We are only relevant to the extent that we are impactful (not a legitimate word, but what's a little slippage among friends?).  Often that means digging deep into the past, a place where some writers who are consumed with relevancy rarely go.

It's not a matter of going into the past for past's sake. But, as in so many other contexts, knowing where we have come from will aid in where we are going.   The past and present are seriously linked, and will produced a significant form of relevance. We draw from lessons learned, mistake made and corrected, and something very relevant called life skills.

I write this paper essentially as a writer, so the above examples are themselves relevant and current.   The last thing I would want is to be irrelevant in my deliveries, whatever form they take.   If I strive to make an "impression," rather than make an "impact," I am missing the mark.

However, if I aim for impacting my audience, then I believe I am truly relevant.




No comments: