Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Twenty-Seven Years

Twenty-seven years ago this coming Thursday (July 10) I took one of the most significant steps in my life. The move I made ranks up there with my embracing of a personal God, the birth of my children, my move to Alberta, and my shift back into teaching eleven years ago.

I said "I do," and I have been doing ever since.

I don't suppose you could find two more different people. They say I have always been different, but on that day I became even more different. One of us was from a small interior town, the eldest in the family of only girls, and very smart. The other one - that would be me, for your information - came from a suburb of Vancouver, the youngest of only boys, and, well, let's just say that grade ten was the best three years of my life.

Gwynne was a near-valedictorian; that is, she was next in line to the really, really smart guy. Me? I wasn't exactly next in line: I was at the end of the line. By the time I got my grad papers, it was tomorrow and everyone had gone home.

When Gwynne married me, I was a full-fledged postman. The politically correct term is letter-carrier. Yep, I was that, too. I always identified myself as a first class male. (I grew tired of explaining that one, so I dropped it.)

Gwynne has stuck with me through thick and thin - my thick head and thin skin. We moved a few times throughout British Columbia, and finally fled to the Wild Rose province six years ago. Three jobs, nine kids, and around nine moves later, we are still hanging in there together.

Committed marriage between a male and female for life is sadly not as common as it once was. Though not as normal as it once was, it is still the most natural relationship. A number of aberrations (big word for "strange variations") have moved in like bad squatters. Limited freedom of speech - remember that? - bad laws, and political correctness rule the day, so I am muzzled from saying anymore. Simply extolling the benefits of a monogamous marriage could be considered a hate message. Oh, Canada!

Studies have shown very conclusively that there are economic, medical, spiritual, emotional, and moral advantages to a committed relationship between a male and female. Unfortunately, these are never allowed in the public arena for our enlightenment. Too often positive comments about one man - one woman are shunted aside, lumped with a right-wing, fundamentalist worldview.

Nothing could be further from the truth, but who really cares about truth today? Pleasure-seekers, I think, would describe our culture.

So, here's hopefully to another twenty-seven years, Gwynne. I'm heavier, so there's more of me to love; I'm balder, so I waste less time and money on hair stuff; and I'm slower, so when you chase me, I won't have to give you a head start.

I have a really neat idea for an anniversary dinner: There's lots of variety, the servings aren't too large, the servers are always well-dressed, and we can go to either Medicine Hat or Lethbridge.

The "restaurant" is called Costco. Meet me in one of the sample aisles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even though I am 25 days late, Happy Anniversary! #27, I keep wanting to say #28 (I get really confused, as we are coming up to #27 also). Anyway, congrats, and I hope you enjoyed Costco!

Gerry