Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Did you hear the latest about Barack Obama? He tried to walk on water, but a plane beat him to it. Seems like the 'Hero of the Hudson' pre-empted the divine of the Democrats. Next thing we know, he'll be trying to heal all the blind and the deaf of America – with a bailout, of course.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting sick and tired of all this Obama-mania?

I'm told there will be exciting changes that Mr. Obama may (or may not) bring to the White House. If half of the changes we are told are true – be it in re-vamping stem cell research, deal or no deal economics, smooging with the terrorists, for starters – then I suggest there will be a lot of changes, but few of them wise.

They say that anyone can become the next USA president – just look at Barack Obama's rise to the Oval Office. In repeated and fanciful communiqués, the spin doctors fail to discuss the deep pockets, the questionable sources, and the academic efforts that marked Mr. Obama's journey to the top. (No, Virginia, not just anyone can become the next president of the United States of America. That is a cruel hoax, so don't start planning your inauguration speech just yet.)

Whether you have a religious bent or not, I bristle when I hear of Obama being considered the next messiah and saviour. I think a correct term here is hyperbole, a serious exaggeration of the facts. In addition to any subtle connection to Christ himself, I would suggest that pundits and columnists save the rhetoric until the man has served some time in office. Like maybe years after he has had his run of the country.

Or it could be the "ruin" of the country, depending on whether his "I" gets in the way.

Two cases in point: The more I study Ronald Reagan's policies, both domestic and foreign, years and years after he left office, the more I see how heroic his leadership was. And then there is Bill Clinton. How do you spell s-h-a-m-e-f-u-l?

Meanwhile, back at the White House: What makes the man so appealing? I admit that his oratory skills are excellent, and his ideas are both fresh and refreshing. So far we have heard words, but we need some deeds. We need to see the impact of talking the talk and walking the walk before we can judge him honestly, for good or for ill. Whether I am Democrat or not (and I'm definitely not), I should reserve judgement of the man until he has actually proven himself.

Just in case you have missed the thrust of today's column, I am not prepared to venerate, exalt, or deify any human, in the first place; and in the second place, this man in particular hasn't done anything of note, either during his campaign or his first few weeks in office. I simply say, Let's wait and see what he does – not merely says – before we anoint him.

I mean, after all, if you really want to worship someone who has already walked on water, healed the blind and deaf, and qualifies to be worshipped, I would love to discuss it sometime. And His talk matched His walk.

For the record, He's been at it for quite a bit longer than Mr. Obama.

No comments: