Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Foremost on my Mind: Canada's History, Eh Plus?











Happy belated birthday, Canada! You don't look a day older than a 146-year-old kid! May you enjoy another 146 years or more.  I probably won't be around to celebrate your 300th birthday, but, then again, maybe you won't be either—so take care of yourself.

 

I love this country, and I want to comment on Canada through the eyes of a Social Studies teacher--with a passing glance at geography, but with the main spotlight being on history.

 

We speak (and sing: “Four Strong Winds”) of Canada in terms of many geographic regions, and so we should. We have a wonderful mix of seas, mountains, prairies, along with flora and fauna, and seemingly limitless resource-based industries.

 

But when we turn to history we become become strangely silent. I have heard that Canada's history is boring. But perhaps it's because of boring presentations by the teacher or textbook.  I suggest here that Canada has, in fact, a fascinating history, and whoever questions that hasn't done their, er, homework.  If it takes a year in a classroom to teach Social Studies, there is no way I can do justice to this vast body of information in this scant column space.

 

History has always fascinated me, and I consider myself more of a history buff than a history authority. Where Mrs. Graham (my Socials 12 teacher, bless her heart) back in Richmond, BC, left gaps in the curriculum, Pierre Berton filled them in quite nicely, thanks.

 

The irony is not lost here, either: Where a teacher failed, a writer excelled—two dual callings on my own life.

 

Canada's history (or would that be Canada's History, formerly known as The Beaver?—witty aside, Maurice) is replete with all the drama of any country with a 500-year-old past. Which is quite phenomenal, considering our nation is just a child among adults in the global family. Our history has all the essential ingredients of any other exciting country (more, actually, I would posit): intrigue, suspense, mystery, grief, heroism, venture, innovation, and so on.

 

I like Canada's history because it reveals a country that has welcomed people from every corner of the globe (not sure how a round earth has square corners).  Canada has encouraged people of all faiths, skills, and ethnicities to settle here and make a life (not just a living) within its boundaries.

 

In terms of recent history, which in reality could be up to the start of this column, the Canada I was raised in was a country bent on tolerance, diversity, and progress. For example, the rich history of the French-British dichotomy must be acknowledged, not denied; local realities would encourage other second languages, of course, depending on the region. I personally don't speak French and never will, but we must recognize their role in the founding of this nation.

 

Canada's history has a few blemishes, of course, like the growing pains of any child. We should never live in denial, on the one hand, nor continue to pummel ourselves, on the other hand, for our catastrophic decisions. Catastrophic decisions, you ask?

 

Let me name a few, sparing as much detail as possible:

 

The trial and hanging of Louis Riel. The cultural ghettos of First Nations. The handling of the Ukrainians and Japanese, during and after WWI and WWII, respectively. The chaotic immigration and multiculturalism of federal policies. The bloody murder of innocent humans (euphemistically called “abortion”).

 

These are just starters and are seriously close to my heart. It might shock my left-wing “friends” where I come down on these historical gaffes. So, just to whet your appetite, let me spell a couple out: I find it reprehensible at any level to segregate people because of skin colour or ethnic background. And in my opinion, Riel should never have been killed, Indian reservations should never have been created, and all foreigners rounded up during the world wars should never have suffered permanent financial losses.  And lastly, I  suggest that any country that kills its own children will never survive.

 

Disagreeing with past political mistakes should not be fodder for present social upheaval. But it is a basis whereby we make sure we don't repeat them. The clock can't be turned back, if you will, but we can re-set it. Time marches on, but always in a forward manner. We cannot re-visit the past, but we certainly can learn from it.

 

That's why we need to study history. Even Canada's history.


 

 

 






No comments: